November


November hours: 4

Total hours: 12


The activity I participated in was volunteering for the Catholic Charities’ Food Pantry. I consider this to be very important because there are a lot of people who go throughout their day without food, and making sure there is somewhere for them to go, especially around the holidays, should be of vital importance. Tuesdays are usually their busiest days, so I was glad that I was able to find the time to volunteer on this specific day. As usual, we packaged food into bags and handed them out to those who approached us. We usually get trucks full of food donations on Tuesday, so I was able to help the other volunteers to carry the many boxes into the building, unpack them, and stock the shelves. All of the donated food was packaged and given away within four hours. While there was a lot of food donated, I believe that there could have been more if there was more awareness about food donation in the area. It was nice to see that the donated food were from local people, but I believe that the large supermarkets, such as Rouses, could do more when it comes to food donations.

 

I enjoyed the renal and pulmonary module that we had right before the Thanksgiving break. It was very difficult due to the amount of information that we needed to memorize in such a short time frame, but I learned a lot about specific areas of the body that I was very curious about. I found the lectures on tuberculosis, pneumonia, and asthma to be particularly interesting, and I learned a great deal about how to treat specific infections, as well as the reasons on why you use a specific treatment. I now have a more in-depth understanding of how to treat pneumonia depending on whether the patient is in an outpatient facility or hospital, and what you should cover during that treatment, such as if you need to prescribe medication that works against MRSA or pseudomonas.






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September

April